Thursday, March 11, 2010

Haunted Cell Phone

I went to the mall today because my jeans are all frayed and look like sausage casings on me, despite the fact that I've lost a few pounds. I wasn't in a bad mood today, I was even trying to build myself up in my head. A stranger actually talked to me which is rare, since I think I look like a walking corpse and scare people away now. It wasn't anything interesting, he just asked if I'd had the food there before and to enjoy my meal. I noticed he was buying 2 meals, so he wasn't heading off to a table to sit there alone like me in the food court.

I feel self conscious now when I'm alone in public, so of course while I was eating I whipped out my phone so I wouldn't have to make eye contact with groups of people. I started chatting with a fellow widow friend, when the phone messed up. I was trying to type something but it was entering letters from other keys. I kept pressing the key until a word formed, and that word was 'sorry'. I thought it was weird, I didn't press the right keys to actually make the word sorry up. It kind of freaked me out, since I've had this phone since '06 and the ONLY other time it's had a problem was right after P died. That time I was trying to put his friend's name in the phone and it wouldn't let me type her name, just "2s" came up instead of K. (It's not a smartphone or anything, just a normal numerical keypad, like 2 = ABC, 3 = DEF etc...)

Anyway it wouldn't let me add any more letters, so I hit space and tried making another word after the 'sorry' but it was just the proper jibberish that I'd actually typed. Like prssp or something. I really wish I could say it was a message from P, but if it was then I'm sad that he feels sorry. It's not his fault he got cancer. I'm not religious, and even if I was, my desperate pleas and prayers in the shower when he was terminal never worked, so God is either unable to intervene, not real, or an @$$hole. I don't really think there has to be a God for an afterlife anyway, but P and I never bought any of that. I really want to find out we're so wrong, but you can't help what you believe. My crappy scientific brain is coming up with excuses already. Maybe it was the perspiration from my hand messing with the circuitry. Seriously? My last phone went through the wash (yeah.) and once it dried out everything worked but 1 key. My logical excuses seem almost as far fetched as my haunted-phone thoughts. Either way, I left my cold rice and cried in the public toilet after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment